Caleb Josiah

baby

Bethany Ashlyn

babies

Aidan Christopher

baby

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas Tree Hunt 2010

Although the kids were pretty worn out from the last few days in Oregon, they were up and ready to go up to the mountains on the annual Christmas tree hunt. I got up early and dropped Aidan off at Pop and Grandma Keiper's house and went back to get the rest of our gang ready. I was amazed that Caleb and Bethany woke up on their own and after loading up the truck with some snacks and our gear we headed off to Grandma Linda and Papa Chito's house. There we met up with Uncle Bill, Aunt Rany and Kaeden as well and we were off!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with what the Christmas tree hunt involves, we go up to the Enumclaw ranger's station and purchase cutting permits. We are then given maps of the forest trail that is open that year and head off up the road. These roads are often only wide enough for one car to pass through at a time, with various passing pull-outs along the way. As you can imagine, it can be quite difficult to make it through when someone goes up unprepared for the weather and get themselves stuck. But the view and the fun time together as a family is well worth it!
Our view above the clouds...

We continue to drive until we find a spot that has what looks to be a good selection of trees and a good place for all the kids to play. This usually involves going up as high as we physically can, with the snow. This year, while driving through an area where many cars had gotten stuck I had a man come up to the truck and inform me that we couldn't go any further due to weather conditions and that many cars had begun to slide around the next bend. This was just a kind man trying to prevent us from getting stuck, but I will admit, when someone tells me I can't do something I have a tendency to want to prove them wrong...and that is just what we did. We actually drove another couple miles before we decided to stop!!

In years past, we (or I should say I) have taken a while to find our tree. This year, I was determined to not be as picky! We found our tree pretty quickly and therefore had more time to play. I will have to remember this...it was much better!!
Bethany started off in her Minnie Mouse hat, but soon requested to change to her "snow hat". I have to say, she made an adorable minnie mouse!
Bethany, Dad, Mom and Grandma Linda just geared up and ready to search for our tree.

Papa Chito, Grandma Linda, Brian, Uncle Bill and Kaeden

We were a little slower going through the paths than the rest of the group. As you can see, the snow was up past Caleb's waist. Brian and I followed behind carrying Bethany. We found our tree just past where the group ahead was in this picture. There was no way I was going to carry Bethany up that hill! Grandma Linda and Papa Chito continued on over the hill into chest-deep snow and found a great tree, but I am very happy with our find right here!!

While the rest of us got our gear on, Caleb, Kaeden and Dad "built" a snowman. The snow was very powdery and so only preexisting snow chunks really stayed together enough to stack!

Caleb following Grandma Linda, Papa Chito, Uncle Bill, Aunt Rany and Kaeden.

Brian and our tree.

Bethany watching Dad cut the first half of the tree...I did my part and cut the second half.

"Mommy...I'm stuck!" was a common statement while out doing the tree. As you can see, it wasn't very easy for her to get around...she is standing in this picture!

Caleb and Kaeden had no problem getting around and enjoyed rolling around in the snow while they waited for the trees to be cut!

The trek back to the truck was just as tiring. Caleb had no problem, with the promise of sledding at the other end. Brian carried the tree and I got my workout carrying Bethany!

Bethany, Caleb and Kaeden. I think they all had much more fun once we were back!

Uncle Bill and Grandma Linda having a "snowball fight"

Papa Chito and Grandma LindaPapa Chito and CalebPapa Chito and the grandkids...Kaeden, Bethany and Caleb

Bethany

We were up so high that there was very little vehicle traffic, which allowed us to sled down the road. Aunt Rany stayed down at the bottom before the turn to make sure nobody was coming before each time down the hill.
Uncle Bill, Kaeden, Caleb and Bethany
Bethany and Mom

Bethany and Mom sledding down the hill.

"Let's do that again!"
Bethany and Mom at the bottom of the hill after a fun, yet scary trip down the hill backward.Bethany had the right idea. She rode on the sled back up the hill after each time down!
Kaeden, Caleb, Bethany and Uncle Bill
I'd say this was a very successful Christmas Tree Hunt!

No comments: