Caleb Josiah

baby

Bethany Ashlyn

babies

Aidan Christopher

baby

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mount Rainier

We decided to take advantage of the National Parks free weekend. Now every time we see the mountain as we are driving, Bethany asks to go up again...which means every time we ride in the car!

Unfortunately, we got stuck in a traffic back-up Saturday on our way up to the park which cut our time on the mountain short. After such a long drive, we took a little break at Kautz Creek (the first rest area within the park) while Aidan ate. After hours in the car, Caleb and Bethany enjoyed a little trek down the trail to the river with Dad and then decided that where they wanted to be was under the table...

After Aidan finished his meal, everyone was a little tired and so we decided to head on home.

I think my disappointment in not being able to enjoy our time up on the mountain showed and Brian offered to stay home with Aidan after church the next day and Caleb, Bethany and I decided to try heading up again. This time we were able to enjoy our time! We started by, once again, taking the Kautz Creek Trail...
Caleb and Bethany leading the way

I know...stay on the path. But how can you go to a river and not take time to throw rocks into the water?

It took a lot of convincing to get Caleb to leave his big rock behind. He hauled it all the way back up to the path before we decided to have a contest to see who could throw their rock furthest...Caleb won!
Our next stop was at Christine Falls. I was a little nervous taking Caleb and Bethany along the busy road to see the waterfall up close, but seeing their amazement made the stress worthwhile!

Just past this waterfall was another small one which was right off the road, but didn't have the drop off. They had fun playing with the moss and getting soaked in its spray!
As you get closer to Paradise, there is an amazing lookout that shows the mountain towering above you. It has been a few years since the last time I was able to come up to the mountain and I forgot how amazing it is! Although my heart pounded seeing the kids walking toward the rock barrier, I really was awestruck by God's majestic creation!!
Our last stop was at Narada Falls. We didn't take the long hike down to the base, but Caleb and Bethany seemed to enjoy the view from the top anyway.
Bethany was recently excited to find that she can see the mountain from her window!
I am very thankful to my wonderful husband for making this second trip up possible!!!

No comments: