Caleb Josiah

baby

Bethany Ashlyn

babies

Aidan Christopher

baby

Monday, August 10, 2009

Family Vacation 2009

We are home from our trip to the Oregon Coast and Portland...and already missing it!!

I got home from work Monday, August 3rd, and started packing...and packing...and packing. I had created a list, but with the busy weekend prior, we hadn't had any time to get things started earlier. I do have to say, Brian was on top of things and actually had most of his clothes packed by then and was able to quickly gather everything for our entertainment during the trip (games, DVDs - including the must-have VeggieTales for bed-time, driving music, etc). With the late start, I was amazed at how quickly we got through it! It is hard to believe how much extra stuff is needed when packing for two little kids as well as ourselves. Fortunately, we had a washer and dryer at our beach house, which meant we only had to make sure we had enough clothes to last a period of 3 days without washing while in the Portland area...of course, this still had to include a selection for all possible weather conditions. It was the selection of activities to keep them busy if we needed to stay indoors at any point that took up much of the truck...the weather report called for rain after the first day, and therefore, we wanted to be prepared!

As usual, I didn't sleep well that night. And after lying in bed awake for a while around 5 a.m. I decided to get started on loading the truck (we weren't leaving until around 10 a.m.). By the time everyone else was awake, the only things left to load were the two larger suitcases into the container on top of the truck. Amazingly we still had room after all the necessities were loaded (including a portable rocking chair that proved very handy) and therefore, Brian was able to bring his guitar as well.

We were blessed to have Grandma and Pop Keiper along on this trip: "Thank you for helping to make this trip possible!" And once they arrived, we were off!

Our first stop was lunch in Raymond. The kids enjoyed a McDonalds meal and time to run around at the playland and then we were once again on the road.
We didn't stop again until we reached Arcadia (a beach just south of Cannon Beach) and that is where we decided to introduce the kids to the ocean...It was a lot of fun seeing their reaction. Caleb immediately took to jumping the waves. After a little time along the edge "popping the bubbles", Bethany decided to join in on the fun.
...Three Generations...Pop, Grandma Keiper and Caleb
Next stop...Spring Lake Beach House!

Although we mentioned we had two small children with us, I don't think that sunk in when they were preparing the house for us. We walked in and immediately decided baby-proofing would be necessary...prompted by Bethany's instant attraction to the decorative glass orbs on the coffee table which she referred to as "Balls!!" These, puzzles, and a naked statue of some kind were carefully moved out of reach and out of sight!

The house was perfect (with the exception of no yard for the kids to run in and Hwy 101 nearby). It was a 3-bedroom house right on Spring Lake and about a 5 minute walk to the beach...which unfortunately included crossing Hwy 101 - luckily we were within the speed zone area, and traffic was overall not all that bad. It just became a rule that Caleb and Bethany had to be carried across...something only Caleb objected to!

Bethany got her own room, which we were able to darken by putting aluminum foil in the window (she has always had to have it dark when she sleeps...something I believe I must have passed on to her). Caleb chose to share a room with Grandma and Pop, which we all decided automatically allotted them the master bedroom! Luckily they had a walk-in closet, allowing Caleb to have his own "room" as well.

Unexpectedly, on top of the well supplied kitchen, they even provided a selection of DVDs, board games, books, Playstation and X-Box gaming systems, ping-pong table, beach chairs, sand toys...and kayaks for use during our stay. It was definitely a home-away-from-home!

I had a hard time only picking a few pictures to share with you, so I did the only thing I could...create a slide show...


In addition to all the fun at the beach, we decided to take the kids to climb and explore at Fort Stevens...
Caleb taking off from Pop and Grandma Keiper, ready to explore...
Caleb had to explore everywhere...but was a little upset when Bethany wasn't able to follow him up the ladder. That didn't last long and he was off again to explore! I was very thankful for the "leashes" in these areas. A group of teens decided this would be a great place for a game of tag and it was quite often that one would run by and not pay any attention to the other little kids around them.
Caleb, Pop and Dad
Bethany
Caleb loved driving the truck...he was very excited to be able to sit in the "driving seat"!
I could have stayed in Rockaway for the entire vacation, but we had promised the kids that we would go to the zoo...so we packed up and off we went!

Once we got checked into our room (a 2-bedroom suite with kitchen) we decided to check out the pool...
Bethany...her first reaction was more of "get me out of here"...
...but it didn't take long for her to have some fun!
Bethany and Mom
Caleb, Pop, Grandma Keiper and Dad
The first night proved to be a little more difficult than at the house. Bethany shared with Brian and I the first night (the second, she was out in the living room) and Caleb shared with Grandma and Pop. I don't think anyone really got a good night sleep, but nothing was going to ruin our day at the Oregon Zoo!



Uncle Chris and Aunt Tamara joined us for a visit later that night...after taking Brian and I out for Starbucks. I was definitely ready for a break!!! You guys were life-savers!!!
Caleb and Uncle Chris playing with cars.
Caleb and Bethany
Bethany, Grandma Keiper and Pop
Caleb and Bethany are not used to having a television so close! I don't know for sure, but I think Caleb was ready for bed...just guessing!
And now, here we are...back home and ready for another vacation!!

1 comment:

Melody said...

Your trip looks like it was a lot of fun! What great memories for the kids... and the kids at heart! ;-)

Your pictures are wonderful! Not only is the subject matter (all of you people that I love!) wonderful, but the photography is excellent!

Thanks for letting me know I missed one! I love you!